Last Updated: January 2020
Before you submit any information on the Site, please read this Policy for an explanation of how we will treat your personal information. By using any part of the Site, you consent to the terms of this Policy. If you do not agree to this Policy, please do not use the Site.
Data That We Collect and Receive
When you interact with us through the Site, we may collect data from you or from other sources. This “data” may be information that you directly provide to us, such as personal information you provide when you visit the Site, or information that is passively or automatically collected from you, such as anonymous information collected from your browser or device.
The data we collect consists of:
- Data that you provide directly when you register for, or use, the Site. This data will vary, but typically consists of name, email address, postal address, phone number and other similar contact data. We also receive data from the communications you send to us.
- User credentials, such as username, password, password hints and similar security information used to create an account and authenticate users of the Site.
- Payment data, such as credit card information and billing address.
- Device data, such as type of device, operating system and other software installed on the device, device settings, IP address, device identifiers and error reports.
- Usage data, such as the programs and features you access and the timing, frequency and duration of your interactions through the Site.
- Third party integrations. If you connect your use of the Site through a third party service (e.g., a social media platform), the third party may share certain information from your third party account with us.
- Other third party data, such as data from our affiliates, partners or vendors, data brokers or public sources.
How We Use Data
We use the data we collect for the following purposes:
- Operating our business. We use the data we collect to operate our business, including providing and improving the Site. Specifically:
- To fulfill transactions that you request.
- To diagnose and fix problems with the Site and providing other customer support services.
- For analytical purposes to better understand our supporters and how they use the Site, which allows us to continually improve the Site.
- Communicating with you. We use the data we collect to communicate with you, including responding to your requests or inquiries. Specifically:
- To respond to your request if you contact us with a question or concern.
- To provide information about your account, your use of the Site or other transactions that you request.
- To deliver news, updates and other types of communications, according to your subscriptions, alerts and other preferences.
- Marketing and advertising. We use the data we collect for marketing or advertising purposes, on behalf of ourselves, as well as our partners and other parties. Specifically, to send you promotional messages and deliver advertisements about products, services, programs or events that may be of interest to you. These may be offered by, or on behalf of, the USA Basketball Foundation, or by our partners and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. The promotional messages and advertisements that you see may be determined by data that we collect or receive about you, such as your demographic data, location data, usage data, interests and preferences. We refer to this as “interest-based advertising.”
Security, compliance and enforcement.
We use the data we collect for security, compliance and enforcement purposes. Specifically:
- To protect the security of the Site.
- To detect and prevent abuse, fraud or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- To resolve disputes.
- To enforce our agreements, including our policies and terms of service that govern your use of the Site.
We may also use your data in any other manner as disclosed at the time of collection, or when we have otherwise obtained consent. Please also note that this Policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with aggregated, pseudonymized or anonymized data.
How We Share and Disclose Data
There are times when the data we collect may be shared by the USA Basketball Family. We share your data for the following purposes:
- Operating the Site. We sometimes engage or partner with other companies to perform certain functions on our behalf – for example, operating our websites. We may provide these companies with access to your data as needed for them to perform these functions in a manner consistent with this Policy.
- When necessary under certain circumstances. We may disclose your personal data when we believe that disclosure is necessary to:
- Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process.
- Protect the security of the Site.
- Prevent fraud, abuse or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- Protect the rights or property of us or third parties, including enforcing the terms of our agreements.
We may also share your data for any other purpose as disclosed at the time of collection, or when we have otherwise obtained consent. Please note that this Policy is not intended to limit our ability to share or disclose aggregated, pseudonymized or anonymized data.
What Choices You Have
You have many choices about how we collect, use and share your data.
You can choose whether you wish to receive promotional messages from the USA Basketball Foundation and which types of messages you wish to receive. If you receive promotional messages from us and would like to opt out, you may do so by following instructions within those messages.
You can opt out of interest-based advertising as described in this section and in the Cookies and Similar Technologies section of this Policy. When you opt out, your selection is stored on a cookie on your device. If you delete the cookie from that device or sign in from a different device, you will need to opt out again.
Because the data used for interest-based advertising is also used for other necessary purposes (including operating the Site and for authentication and security purposes), opting out of interest-based advertising does not stop the data from being collected nor reduce the number of advertisements you will see. However, the data will not be used for interest-based advertising, which means the advertisements you do see may be less relevant to you.
You also have choices about the data you provide directly to us when you register for or use the Site. Please note, however, that if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide certain features of the Site, your use of the Site may not include those features.
You can choose to limit the data that third party services (e.g., social media platforms) share with us using the options provided to you by the applicable third party service (for example, the options provided by a third party social media platform when you connect your social media account with the Site). You can also disconnect your use of the Site from the third party service at any time using the options provided to you by the applicable third party service. Please note, however, that if you disconnect from the third party service, that will not delete the data we may have previously collected while you were connected.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files that are unique to your device or browser. They can either be session-based (i.e., lasting only while your browser is open and automatically deleted when you close your browser) or persistent (i.e., lasting until you delete them or they expire).
- Locally stored objects. Locally stored objects (“LSOs”), also commonly called “Flash cookies,” are stored on your device or browser to provide features on the Site that use Adobe Flash technology.
- Web beacons. “Web beacons” or clear GIFs are small pieces of code placed on the Site to collect data about users of the Site.
We use Tracking Technologies for the following purposes:
- Sign-in/authentication. When you sign into your account to use the Site, we use Tracking Technologies to store your sign-in information. This allows the Site to remember your user preferences and give you a more tailored experience based on those preferences. It also allows you to use the Site without having to sign-in on each page or each time you return.
- Security. We use Tracking Technologies to help detect fraud and abuse of the Site, including attempts to access the Site without authorization.
- Analytics. We use Tracking Technologies to gather usage and performance data about the Site, including counting the number of unique visitors.
- Advertising. We use Tracking Technologies to track how many users have seen or clicked on an advertisement. This allows us to learn which advertising campaigns are most effective and also to help limit the number of times a user is shown the same advertisement.
- Interest-based advertising. We use Tracking Technologies to collect information about your interests so that we can deliver advertising that is most relevant to your interests.
In some cases, we may work with third parties (for example, third party operators of the Site) to synchronize our unique, anonymous identifiers (such as those associated with Tracking Technologies) with the third party’s own identifiers. This enables us to better achieve each of the purposes described above.
Managing Tracking Technologies.
Most web browsers give you the ability to manage Tracking Technologies used on a website, including blocking or deleting them. Please note that if you choose to block Tracking Technologies, you may not be able to use certain features that depend on those Tracking Technologies (such as keeping you signed in or remembering your preferences). If you choose to delete Tracking Technologies, any settings and preferences that were associated with those Tracking Technologies will also be deleted and may need to be reset.
You also have the following options to manage Tracking Technologies and opt out of interest-based advertising:
- For Flash cookies, you can access Flash management tools from Adobe’s website. In addition, some, but not all, browsers provide the ability to remove LSOs within cookie and privacy settings.
- You may opt out of interest-based advertising from companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) by visiting their website.
- You may opt out of interest-based advertising from companies that participate in the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting their website.
- Finally, you may opt-out of interest-based advertising by adjusting your device or browser settings.
Please note that opting out of interest-based advertising does not mean you will stop seeing, or see fewer, advertisements. It does, however, mean that the advertisements you do see will not be interest-based and may be less relevant to your interests.
Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” features that send an automated signal to the websites that you visit using that browser. At this time, the Site does not recognize or respond to these signals. However, you can adjust your preferences regarding the data we collect using the tools and methods described above.
Security of Data
The USA Basketball Foundation takes security seriously. We take a number of steps to protect your data from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the data we collect and use, as well as the current state of technology.
It is important to remember that no system can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. We recommend that you help us keep your data safe by taking reasonable steps such as keeping your passwords private and not disclosing sensitive personal data in places that can be accessed publicly.
Third Party Sites and Sections
We work with a number of third parties to operate the Site. When we engage third parties in connection with operating the Site, those third parties may only collect, use or access your data as needed for them to perform these functions. These third parties include:
- usabfoundation.org. We have engaged CauseMic to operate the site.
- Winwithher.org. We have engaged Funraise to operate as our fundraising platform.
These third parties are only authorized to use your data as permitted under this Policy, or as disclosed to you at the time your data is collected. Please note, however, that these third parties may supplement data collected or received in connection with the Site with data they collect or receive through other websites, platforms and services, in accordance with the policies and disclosures posted on those websites, platforms and services.
The Site may also contain links to, or integrations with, other websites, platforms or services that are not operated or controlled by the USA Basketball Foundation (each a “Third Party Site,” and collectively, the “Third Party Sites”). Please note that this Policy does not apply to those Third Party Sites. For more information on how those Third Party Sites collect, use and share data, we suggest that you contact the operators of those Third Party Sites directly.
Children and Parents
Although there are USA Basketball fans of all ages, the Site is not directed at children under the age of 13, and our policy is to not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 13. We encourage parents and guardians to monitor their children’s online behavior, put parental control tools in place, and teach children not to provide their personal data through the Site without parental consent.
If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal data to us without parental consent, please contact us using any of the methods within the footer of this website, and we will endeavor to delete that data from our systems.
By providing personal data in connection with the Site, you acknowledge and agree that such personal data may be transferred from your current location to the offices and servers of the USA Basketball Foundation and our authorized third party service providers located in the United States.
We may change this Policy from time to time to reflect changes in our business, the Site, or our practices and procedures. If we do make changes, we will post any changes on this page and indicate the date on which the Policy was last revised. We encourage you to review this Policy periodically, especially before you provide personal data directly to us through the Site. Your continued use of the Site after any changes to this Policy are in effect constitutes your acceptance of the revised Policy.
How to Contact Us
Although we strive to make this Policy as comprehensive as possible, we know you may still have questions or concerns about how we collect, use and share data. If you have a question, concern or complaint regarding our data privacy practices, you may contact us by sending an email to email@example.com.